Definition and classification of liver cirrhosis-STENCILDENT
CIRRHOSIS OF THE LIVER
Cirrhosis is defined as an irreversible chronic injury of the hepatic parenchyma and include extensive fibrosis in association with the formation of regenerative nodules
TYPES OF CIRRHOSIS:
- consumption of large quantity of alcohol
- Increased frequency of alcohol
- nutrient factors
- Fatty change in the liver
- Steatohepatitis ( hepatitis with infiltration of liver cell+inflammatory cell)
- Mallory bodies
- Necrosis of liver cell,replacement by fibrosis
- Regenerative activity of hepatocyte ( fibrosis to micronodule formation)
2)POST -NECROTIC CIRRHOSIS:
Characterised pathologically by :
- Extensive loss of liver cell,
- Collapse of reticulum network
- Thick connective tissue
- Viral hepatitis
Intrahepatic /extrahepatic biliary system - prolonged obstruction,injury to liver cell,stasis of bile,dysfunction of liver cell leads to progressive fibrosis .
They are two forms of biliary cirrhosis:
a) Primary cirrhosis : is induced by autoimmune reaction
b) Secondary cirrhosis: result from prolonged extrahepatic obstruction
Causes -stone ,tumour
- Nutmeg liver appearance :
- Prolonged severe right sided heart failure ,chronic venous congestion of liver leads to cirrhosis.
5)METABOLIC ,HEREDITARY AND OTHER TYPE OF CIRRHOSIS:
- If you can remember this word then definitely you write the classification of cirrhosis of liver .
C- Cardiac cirrhosis
A- Alcoholic cirrhosis
M- Metabolic cirrhosis
P- Post-necrotic /post viral/post-hepatitis
AIM OF THIS POST:
Today we have started with learning definition of cirrhosis ,then we moved into the classification of cirrhosis and finally we finished with easy way to remember this classification,now you might ask me this a very short classification why do we need mnemonic. Since ,its very short we need to definitely write about everything ,those who tend to forget can definitely use this mnemonic to remember the classification.Hope you all liked this post if you like it and if it helped you remember do let me know in the comment section below as it would motivate me post more such content .